[cma-l] Review of the approach to community radio Key Commitments

Murray Dawson murray at shmu.org.uk
Tue Sep 22 17:59:30 BST 2015

I'm a bit out of the loop on this one.

I found it interesting the way the email has been phrased;
/"This will free up community radio stations, enabling them to focus on
serving their target communities, adapt better to the changing needs of
those communities, and deliver social gain." /

Does this mean that the CMA Council supports the streamlining and
simplifying of the Key Commitments?  I couldn't make it along to the
AGM, so not sure if this was discussed there?

Does anyone have any background on where this new consultation has come
from and why it wasn't included in last years consultation?

I haven't read the consultation document yet, but personally feel there
is real value in retaining the concept of Key Commitments - it's one of
the core elements that clarifies the value and focus of our sector (we
sell communities not cars)

Thanks

Murray

On 22/09/2015 16:51, CMA-L wrote:
> Community radio services broadcasting on FM or AM provide social gain
> and other community benefits on a not-for-profit basis.
>
> Each station is required to provide the service described in its
> licence, which is based on the proposals it made during the
> application process for the licence.
>
> These service descriptions recorded in community radio licences are
> called ‘Key Commitments’.
>
> This Ofcom consultation seeks views on a proposal to streamline and
> simplify the Key Commitments.
>
> This will free up community radio stations, enabling them to focus on
> serving their target communities, adapt better to the changing needs
> of those communities, and deliver social gain.
>
> Ofcom invites written comments on the questions raised in this
> consultation, to be submitted by *5pm on 21 October 2015*. Ofcom
> strongly prefers to receive responses in electronic format and their
> web form will allow you to indicate your data protection preferences
> and send your views to the team responsible for this consultation.
>
> http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/consultations/key-commitments/
>
> \\
>
> Community Media Association
> --
> http://www.commedia.org.uk/
> http://twitter.com/community_media
> https://www.facebook.com/CommunityMediaAssociation
>
> Canstream Internet Radio & Video
> http://www.canstream.co.uk/
> https://twitter.com/canstream

please reply to
murray at shmu.org.uk

Murray Dawson
Chief Executive
Station House Media Unit
Station Road, Woodside,
Aberdeen  AB24 2WB
Tel - 01224 515013

www.shmu.org.uk

listen to our community radio station live on 99.8FM and at www.shmufm.net

SHMU is a charity registered in Scotland - SC034211 and a registered Limited Company - SC332413

This correspondence is confidential and is solely for the intended recipients. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not disclose, copy, distribute or retain this message or any part thereof.
If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this correspondence from your system and notify the sender immediately. No warranty is given that this correspondence is free from any virus.
Any views or opinions expressed in this correspondence do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of Station House Media Unit.