[cma-l] Routes to Revenue follow up

Pippa at Curly Radio pippa at curlyradio.com
Tue Sep 15 13:11:44 BST 2015

Good afternoon everyone,

It was great to meet so many of you at the Community Radio Conference last Saturday.   I hope you enjoyed meeting old friends and making new ones too.  Our theme was ‘Inspiring through Success’ and I hope to see this list full of your Success Stories going forward.

Let’s start by saying many congratulations to Fever FM in Leeds, whose presenter Harpz has been employed by the BBC after 6 years in Community Radio!

Before I move on to ‘Routes to Revenue’, just a quick reminder about the special offer from SoundWomen which is available until this Friday, September 18th.  It’s £2 per month for CMA members (usually £5 per month) and includes access to great networking, training and mentoring schemes.  Please pass this on to the women in your organisation - Details here:-

Please note that if you want to take up the Sound Women SPECIAL MEMBERSHIP OFFER FOR COMMUNITY MEDIA ASSOCIATION DELEGATES the code for Community Media Association delegates is  CMAConf2015

http://www.soundwomen.co.uk

Routes to Revenue:-

Our first speaker was Aaron McCarter from East London Radio

@Aaron_Radio

@EastLondonRadio

www.eastlondonradio.org.uk

Aaron talked about ELR’s strategy to use online rather than FM because it enables them to reach over 3 million potential listeners.    What Aaron didn’t mention was that their success to date has enabled them to open 4 studios across East London.   As well as training volunteers, they have taken their offer to local business and Aaron outlined the people & management skills which are engaged in a studio situation.   I think you will agree it is an inspiring story.  Take a look at their website (and fabulous branding) for more details.

Our second speaker was David Harber from Express FM in Portsmouth

@_davidharber

@expressfm

@radioresponse

www.radioresponse.co.uk

www.expressfm.com

David talked about all things commercial.  Thinking big.  Great straplines.  How to sell when you don’t have Rajar (we don’t need it).  Lots of tips and tricks to get your customers signing up.  Take a look at the Media Pack he created for Express FM here http://mm.aiircdn.com/41/844640.pdf.  Since joining Express FM he has made a significant difference to their commercial income.

Our third speaker was the one and only Dom Chambers, Chair of the CMA

@TheDomChambers

@somervalleyFM

www.somervalleyfm.co.uk

Dom talked about Commissioned Services which includes Service Level Agreements.   These bring certainty on the income front and can sit on either side of the 50/50 equation depending on the services in the contract.   At SomerValleyFM, Dom has developed a portfolio of income streams and developed partnerships with business and education.

We talked a lot about branding too.  A strong brand is more than just an icon.  It will help to make you look bigger than you are, and to convey your values .... which in turn will lead to stronger alliances and more revenue (even if you don’t take advertising, or operate purely in the 3rd sector).   East London Radio and Soundart Radio are great examples – and on the other end of the scale, think about the BBC .... everyone on the planet knows what that stands for.

I’m not an expert on branding, but I know it works.  There are lots of resources online and an expert nearby in your community, I promise!

If you have any questions about the Routes to Revenue session, or want more information, please just give me a shout.

And keep your Success Stories coming so we can all stay inspired.

Best wishes

Pippa

Philippa Sawyer

Director, Wycombe Community Radio CIC