[cma-l] Eddie on DAB v FM

James Cridland james at cridland.net
Sat Sep 5 23:12:51 BST 2015

I'll ask Michael to pop in and talk more about Radioplayer, and how the
recommended stations work. I do occasional work with them, and was part of
the original team that worked on the idea, so you'll appreciate I'm quite
keen about it!

What he has said publicly is that if you are focused on a small local area,
you are far more likely to appear as #1 in the recommendations for that
small local area. It would therefore make sense that, for community radio,
you'll be winners; even if you try hitting the recommendations directly
from the BBC Radio 2 Radioplayer. (Go to www.bbc.co.uk/radio2, click
'listen live', click the menu button and choose 'recommended' - for
clarity, the thing that appears as soon as you hit 'listen live' is
Radioplayer).

Recommendations are also based on your listening history, trending stations
across the UK, as well as locality.

One final thing - at TwoLochs you don't use your Radioplayer console on
your own website, giving me a direct link to a .m3u that my Chromebook has
no comprehension what to do with. So, bizarrely, the only way I can
actually listen to you is to go to the BBC Radio 2 website, click 'listen
live', then search for Two Lochs from there. Why wouldn't you want people
to hear your station, to mark it as a favourite in your own player, and to
ensure that others find it through 'trending'? My advice is to use the
Radioplayer pop-up as the main player, and relegate that m3u link you use
to a geeky page somewhere.

[And thanks for the graphical link to Media UK - I'd love that to link to
https://media.info these days]

//j