[cma-l] by the way

Associated Broadcast Consultants info at a-bc.co.uk
Wed Sep 2 22:51:00 BST 2015

James said:

*"I'm anti switchover. I'm pro DAB. Amazingly, this is a position which is
both possible and actually quite comfy. After all, over 50% of London
listening is already on digital radio. We're just waiting for the rest of
you to catch up..."*

Yes I agree it is incredibly comfy for the incumbents - however to
simulcast like that and only utilise that FM spectrum 50% or less is a
terrible waste and actually counter to Ofcom's remit to maximise the social
value of the spectrum it manages.

Until recently I would have agreed that there is limited scope for
auctioning the FM band -  no big financial incentive to do that (unless the
"Internet of Things" takes off as predicted).     However there are an
awful lot of existing and would-be community broadcasters who could use
that wasted FM spectrum at 100% utilisation to either boost their signal,
or be permitted to start new services in areas that currently have "no
available frequencies" (because they are being used to simulcast DAB
stations) - arguably greater social value than simulcasting DAB services.

I favour partial or gradual switch-over.  The BBC is in the best position
to lead the way - after their current DAB infill rollout their DAB coverage
will probably match FM.  They also need to save money - another reason for
them to vacate FM.   If your rural vs city hunch is correct, they could
even clear cities first to protect the rural voters.  Leave FM for
commercial stations to see-out their licences, for community stations with
a little greater coverage, and possibly a new teir of commercial city-wide
stations that must be local and not networked.  ie: a multi-platform radio
future, but not with the same services duplicated on all the platforms.

IMHO

Glyn

--
Glyn Roylance - Principal Consultant
Associated Broadcast Consultants <http://www.a-bc.co.uk/>

PS: actually I quite enjoy Nick's rants - as long as they are not too
long!  Often I think he expressing opinions that many people agree with.
It would be very boring if all posts could only contain verifiable facts
and be approved by the administrator!

On 2 September 2015 at 18:02, James Cridland <james at cridland.net> wrote:

> [...]
> will be removed from FM in 2020. There will be much sadness and gnashing of
> teeth at this prospect, since the majority of those listeners are still on
> FM. And those listeners will want to punish the people in government who
> made that decision.
>
> Another thing happening in 2020 is the next General Election. This is an
> event that allows the electorate to punish government for making bad
> decisions.
>
> DAB coverage is strongest in major urban conurbations, and works less well
> in the countryside. We have a Conservative government. Tory MPs don't have
> much support in major urban conurbations but enjoy considerable support in
> the countryside. Oh. And - pure guesswork - but I would guess that the
> majority of Radio 2 and Radio 4 listeners are Tory voters. Double Oh.
>
> So, all this is to say that an FM switchoff won't happen; and an FM
> switchover for the large stations will happen at the very earliest after
> the next election.
>
> I'm anti switchover. I'm pro DAB. Amazingly, this is a position which is
> both possible and actually quite comfy. After all, over 50% of London
> listening is already on digital radio. We're just waiting for the rest of
> you to catch up...
>
> James
> I do a weekly newsletter which you should get - http://james.cridland.net
> to get yours.
>
> On Wed, 2 Sep 2015 17:20 Bill Best <bill.best at commedia.org.uk> wrote:
>
>> Hi Nick
>>
>> There's little point in sending hearsay to the list without corroborating
>> your sources.
>>
>> There are no plans for an FM switch-off and, in any case, there is
>> currently no business case for repurposing the spectrum.
>>
>> But thank you for your email - I'm sure it will stir up some responses.
>>
>> I'm sure that this subject might come up in the 'Small-Scale DAB'
>> breakout session led by Lawrie Hallett at the Community Media Conference on
>> Saturday 12th September. If you have not got your tickets then there are
>> only a handful left which may be purchased online here:
>>
>> http://community-media-conference-2015.eventbrite.co.uk/
>>
>> Best regards
>>
>> Bill
>> --
>> Operations Manager
>> Community Media Association
>> http://www.commedia.org.uk
>> https://twitter.com/community_media
>> https://facebook.com/CommunityMediaAssociation
>>
>> *Community Media Conference, 12th September, University of Bedfordshire*
>> <http://www.commedia.org.uk/news/2015/07/community-media-conference-2015/>
>>
>> Canstream Internet Radio
>> http://www.canstream.co.uk
>> https://twitter.com/canstream
>>
>> On 2 September 2015 at 16:15, Canalside's The Thread <
>> office at thethread.org.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> Oh by the way everyone whilst I am on ...... I was reading a few weeks
>>> from a very good source (well two actually)   that another nudge nudge

<http://www.a-bc.co.uk/index.html>