[cma-l] Funding News: The Onefamily Foundation (UK-wide)

Canalside's The Thread office at thethread.org.uk
Wed Sep 2 16:04:43 BST 2015

Waste of time these. Apologies for the blunt response but these are open to
nudge nudge wink wink

.

Personally I have always maintained that a project ought to be ‘’’judged’’’
on whether it is :-

a)       a good project (obviously)

b)       and/or     do they need the help ??

Unfortunately, they seem to be judged on either who knows who in high
places, who has the person on-board who knows how to write applications but
NOT necessarily for the better project or this voting malarkey where the
organisation who members has the biggest family and network of friends.

Like lots of things that I have pointed out over the years I think a darn
good overhaul on the lot of it is due.

We have tried these things twice

lots of hard work trying to drum up
support, plus all the time consumed with the application and we lost out to
a Brass Band .. !    this Brass Band by the way have won about ten of these
things

..I know other Brass Bands in the area who are smaller than this
particular Brass Band and don’t have the weight of votes. The whole thing is
pointless !               I think the other group we lost out to were a
Fishing Club or something like that ??

Please bear-in-mind that a lot of these projects can be run on a shoestring

 we’ve got Studios here that cost as much as it would take to run a Brass
Band for a Century .. half of em would be dead before they’ve managed to
spend the money.

We’ve had to raise our money the HARD WAY
.. via sponsorship --- and that
is sponsorship LADEN WITH restrictions as the ideal World nicey nicey cotton
woolly grants idea went out the window years ago.

It’s all project this and project that
 you have to invent projects to get
money for the project which doesn’t pay for what you need the money for in
the first place

 are there actually any grants at all anywhere for
providing NOT-FOR-PROFIT COMMUNITY RADIO ????         er ?   think not ?
I think the new Government and Mr Vaizey n all need a knock on the door and
a wake up call !

I also would hardly say the reach of a Brass Band in the Community gets
anywhere near to what we all do

.we are handicapped also because of
that wonderful word   ‘’RADIO’’’      as soon as folk see it they think
loads of money going into the back pockets of commercial entrepeneurs
not true of course. Set us at the side of a Brass Band / Scout Group / Play
Group / Fishing Group    we look like the big bully.

If anyone is thinking of applying for this, please let me know after the
event, we can have a good chin-wag on how much of your life you have wasted
in the process.

If there are any Brass Bands or Fishing Clubs on our Message Board and you
are reading this
 all the best and good luck

It’s not sour grapes      honestly       LOL       :-)

Nick

  _____