[cma-l] Review of the approach to community radio Key Commitments

Bill Best bill.best at commedia.org.uk
Tue Oct 20 12:39:05 BST 2015

Hi

Having read through Ofcom's proposal several times, certainly any move to
reduce the administrative burden of Key Commitments reporting for community
radio stations would be welcome. However I believe that the proposal would
reduce Ofcom's workload and significantly increase the workload on
individual stations.

The Key Commitments template is simplified and reduces much of the
community radio reporting to a box ticking exercise around some
quantitative statements about the number of original hours and the number
of hours of locally-produced content broadcast.

A greater onus is going to be placed on stations to record their social
gain outputs - from Section 3.13:

Under our proposed new approach to Key Commitments, each station would need
to take greater responsibility for planning its own social gain,
participation and accountability activities.

I think the proposed new form of reporting is going to make it difficult
for stations to know the level of detail they would need to go into to
record their activities and some stations will end up over-documenting
their activities and some might possibly under-record. There is an
opportunity here for the CMA in conjunction with Ofcom to disseminate best
practice and develop some training and education around Key Commitments
reporting.

Furthermore the proposed new Key Commitments template places a lot of
emphasis on quantitative data - and, unfortunately, replacing qualitative
outcomes with quantitative information is not going to be the best method
of measuring social gain objectives. In fact the Key Commitments template
reduces explicit reporting on social gain to a mere three check boxes:

   - the facilitation of discussion and the expression of opinion,
   - the provision (whether by means of programmes included in the service
   or otherwise) of education or training to individuals not employed by the
   person providing the service, and
   - the better understanding of the particular community and the
   strengthening of links within it.

And stations will have to take responsibility for locally and privately
recording their delivery of social inclusion, promotion of employment,
cultural and linguistic diversity, and so on.

Delivery of social gain is what makes community radio unique and any steps
to reduce the emphasis on such an important characteristic of community
radio would be most unwelcome.

Best regards

Bill
--