[cma-l] Major Incident Planning

Alan Coote alan.coote at 5digital.co.uk
Thu Nov 26 12:22:30 GMT 2015

Here’s my experience;

For national events it’s wise to have an Obit' process in place, written down and all presenters made aware of it. As minimum have a Obit' safe music log. That will at least give you time to decided what to do next.

I’m sure there are people on this list with more experience of reporting news than I.

For local major events you could be the first media on the scene - as I was once at the sad crash and death of a Red Arrow pilot.

My advise is NOT to air information which could prove later to be incorrect, number of casualties, names etc, etc. Sounds easy, but if you're first to report the story, there is a temptation to give away more than is prudent.

The emergency services are very guarded these days so you’ll not get much from them. Local witnesses will give you more but that information needs corroborating.

Usually within an hour BBC / ITV / SKY have local reporters on the scene and the area is cordoned off by the emergency services.

Social media will also be full of information and my guess is that you’ll not have the resources to keep up with the pace. Your local knowledge could then help as you may know people who can give you a better understanding of what happened.

Finally, don’t be put off or intimidated by covering a major incident. If you have a smartphone you have all you need to capture audio and video and report live to your studio.

Kind Regards
Alan

Alan Coote