[cma-l] DAB Radio

Andy Clarke - Ringtone.net Ltd cma at severnfm.com
Mon May 18 17:27:41 BST 2015

I think it's a little presumptuous stating that "also sounds as if small-scale DAB will be mostly un-listenable anyway".

DAB is expensive but that's because it's currently "allowed" to be, as there is no other option - it's all or nothing. My only option for Severn FM was to sign up for 48 months to our local "incumbent" Mux Provider  with 2 years  payment in advance so use a 4 site SFN covering more than the County and 4 times my target audience area - incidentally that was for a 64K mono MP2 stream as well.  A single or two site SFN (100w ERP each) using Software Defined Radio (mmbTools) running on very low cost hardware would certainly cover our target audience area very nicely. Once setup, the running costs would be  VERY low.

The incumbent Mux provider (in my area at least) do not provide a cost effective  solution for Community Radio. I certainly wouldn't need 4 or 5 9's availability and  also the backhaul to the Mux from the encoder could be operated over the net to further reduce backhaul costs. We have had a working solution for 2 months (albeit under Suppressed Radiation Conditions to comply with the 1989 legislation).

If SmallScaleDAB is managed correctly, it can only be a success - and maybe also help the "bigger boys" to bring out more suitable propositions  - again in my area at least.

Andy