[cma-l] Nepal

Canalside's The Thread office at thethread.org.uk
Sat May 2 11:50:50 BST 2015

Dear All

Not wishing to detract away from the appalling and tragic images that we are
seeing everyday on our TV screens from Nepal .. I know we are each doing our
bit ... but, it poses the question that has always been on my mind for many
moons now.

When you see these appeals on TV   (especially Sky)    I remember one for
Syria / Libya, we see them regularly for the RSPCC / RSPCA / Red Cross   etc
etc etc       Do Sky run these these for free ???

Also, for example .this appeal. One of our members has pointed out that as a
matter of course we ought to be '''included''' and sent this sort of
material because as pointed out Commercial Radio is. Which brings me to the
multi-million dollar question        Are the commercial boys getting paid
for running these trailers ?

I don't want paying . I would never take money for anything like this even
if it were offered .....I couldn't sleep at night, but as we know it doesn't
quite work like that. So I would like to know please. Can anyone shed any
light ?              we know there are Health messages that come out of
various organisations, so technically are these classed as SLA's ?    I
honestly don't know ?

There is a far deeper and far reaching argument here though, because over
the years locally we have discovered that on some very worthy local appeals
the commercial station are getting paid 4 figure numbers for about 1 months
work and we sometimes have difficulty even having the conversation. I
wouldn't mind, but in most cases we are trying to offer it for free (within
reason)   but NOT of course if the commercial station is wadding in money.

It takes us back to the age old question :- How many are listening ?   What
type of people are listening ?    Are we far reaching ?   and/or   Do we
like the Lager reach bits that others can't ?      or is everyone kidding
themselves and as Radio goes     are we flogging a dead Horse ?      are we
actually just Training Studios and the rest is by the by ?

I know these are sweeping questions, but still after 12 years I am a touch
unsure what we are meant to be ...??      if we are as much Radio as
Community, then we ought to be allowed to operate exactly the same as the
others '''shackles off'''    if not, then a Community fund needs to fund the
COMMUNITY     not us all having to jump through hoops having debates or
playing silly games trying to have play on words when applying for grants.

What we have all achieved is fantastic, and we deserve a pat on the back
(and a medal each)   however, as I say, are we kidding ourselves ?    have
we actually not really moved very far up the ladder ?

What are your thoughts ?                This for example is a '''classic
example'''    you would think that an appeal needs to reach out to as many
as possible by whichever means ?  according to what I am reading we are not
even on the radar and even after a request have got what we have now via an
afterthought !    not exactly soul inspiring but most definitely for me
frustrating and irritating. Hence the e-mail.

I think it is worth a discussion though.

Nick

  _____