[cma-l] FW: The Cost Of The DAB Trials

tlr at gairloch.co.uk tlr at gairloch.co.uk
Thu Mar 12 20:45:32 GMT 2015

To be honest Nick, much as I loathe PPL's approach, I don't see the problem with
understanding the NET bit!

The Copyright Tribunal, who's decision underpins all this, decided that
copyright royalties should not be levied on a radio station's profits (or for a
non-profit body, its surpluses), but would be based instead on its revenue,
whether or not the station manages to turn that into a profit or a loss.
Otherwise no doubt big radio stations would do what big corporations do, and
find creative ways of making their profits shrink for the purposes of taxes and
royalties.

However, to allow for the fact that a proportion of the revenue has to be spent
on commission and other overheads, such as the expenses of sponsored OBs, it was
agreed that radio stations would actually be assessed after deduction of 15% and
other allowable expenses from their gross revenue. After the deductions that's
the NET broadcasting revenue, NBR, which is then assessed for royalties.

Nothing complicated - it's net in that it's what's left from your gross revenue
after deduction of the assumed commission and allowed expenses. So it doesn't
matter whether or not you are a 'non-profit', either by design or accident, PPL
still gets its cut of your income derived from broadcasting (but not from
grants, donations etc). A barter deal where you receive something in return for
broadcasting something is also broadcast revenue.

The DAB licence thing is of course another question. In my opinion there is no
justification for PPL to ask for extra money for a simulcast by DAB (nor by
Internet). If having the extra delivery method enhances the value of your
station then that will be reflected in increased revenues and they will get
their cut automatically under the existing NBR arrangements. I see no
justification for any additional charge simply because you are available on two
different types of radio.

 Alex