[cma-l] Ofcom announces trials to help small stations join digitalradio - 100w limit

Ian Hickling transplanfm at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 8 14:01:06 GMT 2015

It seem there's a lot of second-guessing going on here from people who may know a lot about administration and encoding but possibly not so about the black magic that is RF propagation.There's no point in trying to relate 100W ERP to 5km for Band III DAB - just as it's equally irrelevant to relate 25W with FM to 5km - sorry.Topography, geology, refraction, refraction, foliation, antenna efficiency and launch conditions have far too large an influence.
In terms of propagated signal transit, there's not a huge difference in practical terms between FM at say 100 MHz and DAB at 200 MHz when you take into account antenna size, efficiency, reflection and refraction.Because of the difference between demodulation formats, a  receiver can tolerate a much lower signal level on DAB than on FM to resolve an acceptable audio service.This was originally proposed at 20dB from the point of view of transmitted power but then revised to 10dB - meaning that a DAB transmitter in Band III would need one tenth of the ERP of an FM transmitter in Band II to achieve the same audience.Hence it is puzzling why Ofcom has set so high a required signal level for a DAB service area of the order of 72dBuV/m as opposed to 54 dBuV/m for FM.
Beware - there is a distinct difference between a Power Decibel in transmission and a Voltage Decibel in reception!
Let's not invoke DAB+ and DRM - Ofcom specifically rules them out in 2.30 and 2.32
Yes, Block 5A would be ideal as it's relatively clear, allocated and accessible to modern receivers - but Ofcom apparently doesn't accept that as it hasn't headed straight for it.
As I've protested many times, there is technically nothing at all to prevent a standalone transmitter radiating a single programme stream to serve a discrete area either on DAB, DAB+ or DRM as far as I'm aware.  If I'm wrong I'd appreciate the exact reasons why.
Looking at only the RF component in the transmission chain, several UK manufacturers could offer a 2U Band III 300W unit at around £2000 if the demand were high enough - no real cost differences from today's Band II units.
Let's not get distracted - the encoding is software-defined - the actual RF transmitter is not!
Ian