[cma-l] Small Scale DAB

Alan Coote alan.coote at 5digital.co.uk
Fri Mar 6 12:04:14 GMT 2015

We were approached a while ago by 2 content producers about teaming up and
sharing airtime on a multiplex.

After a lot of phone calls, Ofcom confirmed that DSPS licenses are required
by each service provider, even if they are sharing air time.

However, in our case the multiplex owner wanted a single contract with a
holding company rather than deal with individual DSPS holders. They felt it
gave them better security.

This highlighted several issues of working with other companies on a DAB
multiplex whose financial stability we had to rely on.

I¹d suggest that stations should carefully consider what happens if the
partner companies don¹t pay their way or go out of business.

And, it may be worth getting professional advise about setting up a limited
liability broadcast company to protect the underlying community station.

Kind Regards
Alan