[cma-l] Climate Radio replies to CMA debate

Geoff Rogers geoff at susyradio.com
Mon Mar 2 13:18:25 GMT 2015

Agreed Alex, very well put.

I cannot also agree that the BBC do not offer a balanced view on Climate
Change.  In fact they seem to be very much on the side of the 'Established
Climate Change Science'.

Just an observation .

Kind regards,

Geoff

On 2 March 2015 at 12:01, Alan Coote <alan.coote at 5digital.co.uk> wrote:

> Alex, very well put.
>
> Alan
>
> Alan Coote
> Managing Director
> 5 Digital Limited
>
> Hear Alan Every Week on Let’s Talk Business The UK’s Premier Radio
> Programme For Current and Future Entrepreneurs - Now Broadcast To Over 5
> Million People  <http://www.letstalkbusinessonline.com/>
>

> From: "tlr at gairloch.co.uk" <tlr at gairloch.co.uk>
> Date: Monday, 2 March 2015 10:42
> To: "Resonance104.4fm" <info at resonancefm.com>, "cma-l at commedia.org.uk" <
> cma-l at commedia.org.uk>
> Subject: Re: [cma-l] Climate Radio replies to CMA debate
>
> Phil
>
> I do hope your programmes get the airing they deserve, but...
>
> ...to avoid anyone getting the wrong idea, I think it ought to be pointed
> out that contrary to your suggestion, the requirements of the law and the
> Broadcasting Code's section on due impartiality definitely are not
> restricted to news coverage.
>
> To be sure there are much stricter requirements on news, in that it the
> code requires *all* news content to have due impartiality, whereas for
> general programming it is only mandated for matters of public policy
> or controversy. Additionally, the law prohibits radio stations from
> editorially seeking to influence the decisions of statutory bodies (except
> where they directly and specifically affect the radio station itself).
>
> Ofcom's interpretation of the law is set out here:
> http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/broadcasting/broadcast-codes/broadcast-code/impartiality/.
> As you will see, rules 5.1 to 5.3 do apply to news only, but the broader
> rules 5.4 to 5.12 apply to all programming.
>
> I guess it comes down to a decision as to whether you consider action
> against climate change a matter of political controversy and/or public
> policy, but from Ofcom's definition it's hard to see how it could be
> anything other than that. From the above document:
>
> *-----------*
> *Meaning of "matters of political or industrial controversy and matters
> relating to current public policy":*
> Matters of political or industrial controversy are political or industrial
> issues on which politicians, industry and/or the media are in debate.
> Matters relating to current public policy need not be the subject of debate
> but relate to a policy under discussion or already decided by a local,
> regional or national government or by bodies mandated by those public
> bodies to make policy on their behalf, for example non-governmental
> organisations, relevant European institutions, etc.
> -------------
>
> I guess para 5.9 is the most relevant here:
>
> -------------
> ...presenters of "personal view" or "authored" programmes or items, and
> chairs of discussion programmes may express their own views on matters of
> political or industrial controversy or matters relating to current public
> [...]

Geoff Rogers
Programme Director
Susy Radio, Local Community Radio for Redhill and Reigate
On-air across Sussex and Surrey on 103.4FM NOW
Web: susyradio.com <http://www.susyradio.com>

Susy Radio Ltd. A company registered in England and Wales.
Registered Office: 54 Nutfield Road, Merstham, Redhill, Surrey, RH1 3EP.
Registered Number: 06748586