[cma-l] Radio 1 Eleven Times Better than Commercial Radio? – FM Spectrum Consumption in the UK

NEIL MACLEOD fortwilliam20 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 16:18:05 BST 2015

Jings, Can I suggest gentlemen you take up broadcasting! It appears you have the ability to fill up white space with alacrity.

And as I read recently, we all know E in E=mc2 stands for Einstein! What oes it matter!

Neil MacLeod

> On 13 Jul 2015, at 14:34, tlr at gairloch.co.uk wrote:
>
> I understand, and empathize with your view entirely, but English is spoken to be understood. It's just like the abuse of 'to decimize' or 'enormity'- they are regrettable, but it's English, not logic or a dead language!
>
> I agree, 6dB in power indicates an arithmetical factor of four, but you were complaining about whether that factored by four value should be added on to the original or replace it/  I contend that in English the phrase that includes "11 times better" is used, conventionally, to indicate something is better by being 11 times as good.
>
> I have 1 times less to say about it :)
>
> Alex
>
>> On 13 July 2015 at 14:03 Ian Hickling <transplanfm at hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Sorry - No
>> "Better than" implies "in addition to" - that is - with the original status maintained - not with it added in.
>> No different from "Eleven times greater than...."
>> "More than" has to be an addition to what is already there.
>> "As many as" is a multiplier of what is already there - that's the difference
>> I refer back to the concept of "one time better than" - which although we do not use, has to be acceptable in a mathematical system - and means "twice as good as"
>> Radio engineers may say that - but it's not right - is it?
>> 6dB in power (rather than voltage or current) terms is an arithmetical factor of four - so 6dB up is four times the power (or "as powerful".
>> That says it all - surely?
>>
>> Ian Hickling
>> Partner

Tel 07887650 258
fortwilliam20 at gmail.com <mailto:fortwilliam20 at gmail.com>

This email and any attachments are confidential from Across Ecosse and may also be privileged. If you are not the named addressee, please do not disclose, use, copy or store the contents in anyway.