[cma-l] Young People on the Radio

Canalside's The Thread office at thethread.org.uk
Thu Jul 9 15:18:26 BST 2015

Stand by for a long one chaps

We have had youngsters in here since day dot. We have a designated Youth
Channel and our Training (Phase One) is a registered charity. We have 7
youngsters in this week, we had 8 last week, 6 the week before and 5 the
week before that
 with another 7 next week.

Some youngsters stay on with us.

I talk to them and treat them like adults even though sometimes you can tell
that what you say is actually going straight over their heads. There has to
be discipline, but alas, because of the nature of the Beast and the lack of
funding (no designated trainer)   we can sometimes end up Heath Robinson and
they can at times be left to their own devices (within reason)

You are then at the mercy of luck. Yes of course they are supervised, but
not to the extent where one is breathing down their necks and as someone
else mentioned, it is about who is mature and who isn’t
. Who has a 20 year
old head on a 16’s shoulders or a 12 year old head on a 22 year olds
shoulders.

Not wishing to put anyone off, but in the last 4 weeks we have had another 3
sets of headphones broken, on Monday we had Orange crush Tango spilt all
over a Computer, a microphone yanked off it’s angelpoise which now dangles
like a Bat and an MPU that has fallen over 3 weeks ago and been to Clyde for
repair
. The cost of this over = £400 quid !           from our research we
believe the youngsters have pushed buttons that they are not meant to as
when we went into the studio all the assign lights were on. The only person
who assigns Channels or needs to is the Programme Controller.

Before anyone gets back and mentions supervision and did you tell them
‘’this that and the other’’ the answer is we do what we can with the
resources available. They are informed what to do and what not to and what
defo not to

.. does it sink in ??   sometimes yes and sometimes no.

We now move onto the bigger picture
.     This is what you get with
youngsters
 you either say yes we’ll run with it or no we won’t. We do it
because we believe it is what we are about

.this is what we want funding
for. Not for making profits, just so people can have fun and we can provide
a Community service.

It can be stressful and sometimes you are banging your head against a brick
wall
 we wouldn’t change it for the World though.

Two girls April and Amy have recorded a show today and it is being played
out at 5:30pm on Phase One
.. it will go out on Canalside FM on Saturday
evening.

Go to    www.thethread.org.uk <http://www.thethread.org.uk/>        listen
here    Phase One                    this is the first time these girls have
ever been near a Studio / Radio and the first ever show after a bit of
practice .. they have been thrown into the mix sink or swim
.. the have
only been here from Monday to Thursday
.. our net spreads out further than
the immediate area. These girls are from Buxton which is a good fifteen
miles away over the Hills

The lads follow at 6:30

 they have been a bit of a calamity to be honest

but lads are lads we’re not sure about their show yet for Saturday, but they
did want to go out on Phase One

we haven’t had chance to check their
show ..I did hear them talking about funerals at one stage      a bit weird
for youngsters

Anyway
 that’s my three-pennith                 we have a regular dozen or
so with us with another dozen in and out in and out shake it all about

Nick

  _____