[cma-l] Community Radio Order

Geoff Rogers geoff at susyradio.com
Fri Jan 23 15:42:12 GMT 2015

Personally, I think we missed a trick here.

One of the arguments of not pushing the abolition (or fundamental change)
to the 50% rule was that 'Ofcom would make available more money in the
shape of grants'.  Certainly this was the view of one of my colleagues who
agreed with the CMA that we shouldn't push for more freedom to finance
ourselves as we see fit.

I, and many others, felt that if we felt this was the case, particularly
with austerity, government cuts etc, then we were living in 'cloud cuckoo
land'.

This has been proved by virtue of no movement on the Community Radio fund,
and no change about how it may be allocated more fairly.

The £15,000 limit for some stations (including mine) is good news, but if
there were to be a FRA, then something like £50,000 would have been more
realistic for most stations.

An opportunity missed for most stations - that's my personal feeling - but
then maybe lessons to be learned for the next consultation.

I expect there will be one, in a year or two time.
--
Geoff Rogers
Programme Director

Susy Radio Ltd. A company registered in England and Wales.
Registered Office: 54 Nutfield Road, Merstham, Redhill, Surrey, RH1 3EP.
Registered Number: 06748586