[cma-l] Community Radio Order

Canalside's The Thread office at thethread.org.uk
Wed Jan 21 19:35:36 GMT 2015

You see guys, sorry to appear to be looking for an argument, but all of this
ought to be irrelevant under the original launch of Community Radio. It is
the fact that we have less or more listeners or the same that causes the
problems. If we are going around saying we have more listeners than whoever
?   then the restrictions kinda come into play. I know they shouldn't and I
know that if we have more listeners (or don't) it shouldn't matter. It ought
to have no bearing on it. Sadly it has had a bearing and my point weeks ago,
was that the message being sent out there now is all gobbledy gook.

Are we competing, are we not competing, if we are not ought we be, if we are
should we not be  ??   it's a shambles .I believe Community Radio should be
simplistic, it should be Que sera sera and restrictions should be no where
in sight. Whatever will be will be and we all deal with it.

I don't care if we have more or less listeners than Silk ..why ?  because if
Community Radio was running how it is meant to be, we would have enough
funding from the Community Fund Pot, to pay for the essentials and core
costs. In otherwords, if we were 100% voluntary, with folk wandering in
willy nilly, we could still function in some way shape or form. This is with
or without a Station manager and/or someone on sales etc                 I
think this is how many saw Community Radio. Right or wrong, poor image or
good image, it shouldn't matter as we ought to be able to function even if
we are rag tag and bobtail.

Does everyone know where I am coming from here or am I waffling again ?    I
feel that we have lost our way, but it isn't exactly our fault. What the
restrictions have done, along with the lack of financial support in the Pot
has distorted the whole Venture, hence why I was saying there is confusion.
It isn't confusion in the true sense of the word but I think a few shots in
own feet have taken place.

Keep it simple has been my message. I don't expect everyone to agree ... but
???                  Rajar shouldn't even be on the Radar, if that makes
sense. The moment we start asking to be placed on Rajar, I think we are
going away from our values. We're not here to compete, even though in a
roundabout way we are. We have to compete because the financial support has
been woeful ... so is it a wonder why I reach for the defensive stick ??

If I'm wrong here, please say so, that's fine by me    no probs.

Nick

  _____