[cma-l] Community Radio Order

Two Lochs Radio tlr at gairloch.co.uk
Wed Jan 21 15:05:48 GMT 2015

Understood, but aren't RAJAR respondents who can tick 'other' living only in the areas where at least one station is a RAJAR member? Last time I asked (admittedly some years ago) RAJAR said they did not have any significant number of diary users in areas with no subscribing stations.

I realise the system might make the figures reliable for the more highly populated areas, but there would be no coverage at all of the Scottish north west , northern or western islands. Isn't it quite probable that a higher proportion of people in these areas would listen to community-based radio than is the case nationally, since these areas have little or no service from the mainstream independent radio groups?

In our own area the reach of community radio by three high sampling surveys over a 12-year period has indicated a fairly steady weekly reach of 60-70% of the adult population.

So for these large areas the RAJAR 'other' figures are conceivably highly inaccurate when it comes to BBC/commercial/community relative shares of reach.

Just a thought.

Alex