[cma-l] imaging and the announcement

Canalside's The Thread office at thethread.org.uk
Tue Jan 20 19:21:25 GMT 2015

Dear All

Dunno about Blogs?   and reading between the lines here it appears as if I
have become some kind of Chairman  :-)   LOL      I don’t think I’m quite at
that level to be honest, I am but a mere insect     :-)

I have to say though, all the comments over the past week or so from Pippa,
Ian, Glyn, Alex, Neil and Uncle Tom Cobbley have been good reading and good
debate, and to be honest, none of us are a million miles away from each
other. Obviously approach can be slightly different, but in the main
circumstances of each individual Station dictate the odds.

Never ever wishing to be derogatory or disrespectful to volunteers, but we
all know that volunteers come in two categories and Glyn hits the nail right
plonk on the head.

Some have their own agendas and they are in the game because they want to
further their career (and that’s fine) and/or just want to be on the Radio
driven by that huge person pushing them from behind

 Mr Herbert Ego

.. a
nice chap, but can be a bit awkward when he wants to be. Can be rather
touchy as well if you say something wrong
 :-)

Other volunteers are the ones who do not want to go on-air and just beaver
away. However, we do have some who go on-air and do the other stuff as well,
so it really is mix and match.

But alas
.there are difficult volunteers. We actually don’t have any, all
of our chaps and ladies are very nice
 the ones we had who were difficult,
were not difficult for very long. Courses on how to deal with difficult
volunteers / volunteers was not really our remit
.. I don’t think you need
an awards ceremony, a ball and a certificate to learn how to tell someone to
go forth and play with the traffic !   :-)              we’ve had about 5
problematics over the 11 years
. They were swiftly dealt with.

A difficult volunteer with an ego is like holding a stick of dynamite and
not a good situation to be in.

But, back to the point

 good volunteers are few and far between, those
that you do have on-board must be treated with respect and the odd reward
and tickle (or two)                   constant delegating to the ones who
already graft can backfire

. It’s all about trying to encourage people,
friendly persuade or failing that buy a big club     :-)      LOL

Yup    rewarding indeed

. We wouldn’t still be here if it wasn’t. It is
challenging because wherever you look there are holes
 you might be flush
in some areas (even money £££) but bereft or have short fall in others.

We started off talking about ‘’delegation’’’ and sadly as usual I went off
around the Trees and through the Woods again, but alas, we’re back on track
now
.. delegation is difficult .. especially if you look around and there’s
no one there.

I have often wondered if some of these Stations which have closed, I’m
trying to visualise the last day ??????   would it be down to the last three
dedicated burnt out mugs standing there whilst surrounded by Indians, one
leaves coz they’ve lost the will to live, then the other so that nothing
comes back on them and then there’s one guy / gal left ..usually the one who
had the idea originally ‘eureka’  ‘’let’s start a Radio Station’’

Headline in the local Rag

 General Custer finally falls, goodnight sleep
well Radio Custer

Regards

Nick

  _____