[cma-l] imaging and the announcement

Two Lochs Radio tlr at gairloch.co.uk
Tue Jan 20 11:00:50 GMT 2015

No Nick, you are defintely not alone!

Our situation is very similar to yours: Statation Manager doing a very long week in return for part-time voluntary sector pay rate. SM's wife doing nearly as much, but unpaid, and one other highly committed volunteer. By chance we too have been going 12 years.

While voluntary organization consultants, enterprise companies, newcomers and other well-meaning souls tell us it's no good being reliant on one or two people, and that delegation is key etc etc, my observation has been that while that 'best-practice' can sometimes be made to work, particularly in large cities, council-funded operations, or very well-heeled neighbourhoods, for the great majority the successful long-term survivors have got there principally because of two or three totally committed people willig to submerge their lives under the needs of the station!

I second what Glynn said about a blog - it would be great to see the thoughts of Chairman Nick reaching a wider audience. But then [other half of brain engages] I guess you might feel more constrained by the wider exposure, and out would go the baby with the bathwater...

Alex

PS re Preston, Mull etc, add to that list Inverness. They also handed back the licence before ever getting on air, which was a tragedy. I think in both Inverness and Mull a major factor was that they decided if they couldn't do things 'properly' from the outset they wouldn't start up on a shoestring and try to work upwards. Maybe they did themselves a big favour and were saved from years of 70-hour weeks for poor pay [unadventurous side of my brain must still be engaged!].