[cma-l] 9 Years of Promoting Unity in Southampton’s Communities

CMA-L cma-l at commedia.org.uk
Sat Jan 17 12:08:56 GMT 2015

Link: http://www.commedia.org.uk/news/2015/01/promoting-unity-southampton/

In January 2015, Southampton’s Unity 101 Community Radio – the heart of the
city’s cultural media – celebrated its 9th anniversary with a lavish
Anniversary & Awards Evening. The community radio station whose motto is "*For
the community, To the community, By the community*" is the South’s leading
Asian & ethnic radio station.

An independent voluntary organisation, Unity 101 provides culturally
focused programmes and meets the entertainment, training and skills needs
of its volunteers and listeners, thus contributing to a more cohesive city.
Unity 101 Community Radio was nationally recognised, at the highest level,
for its successes in 2012 when the station was awarded the Queen’s Award
for Voluntary Service for “promoting community cohesion through a multi
language broadcasting service”. In 2014, the station was also shortlisted
for the National Diversity Award’s Community Organisation Award for Race,
Religion & Faith.

The Anniversary & Awards event was attended by over 300 guests, which
included Unity 101’s volunteers and its supporters and sponsors from across
the private, public & voluntary sectors. They enjoyed a colourful evening
filled with celebration, entertainment, excitement and food and Unity 101’s
volunteers were acknowledged and rewarded, receiving awards for their
achievements.

*Awards on the night:College Awards, presented by the Principals of the
schools and colleges*

Through Unity 101’s #StudentTakeover young people from local schools and
colleges get the opportunity to broadcast their very own weekly radio
programme. Each year at the Anniversary & Awards Event, each school and
college acknowledges a student who has shown exceptional talents and
achieved goals above their expectations.

*Youth 101 Award, presented Jason Horton, Head of Regional & Local
Programmes, BBC South*

Through Youth 101, a culturally diverse team of 6 British born young people
aged 13-17, were given training in radio broadcasting to present their own
two hour programme twice a month on Sunday’s  from 4pm to 6pm. The range of
skills they gained were confidence, time management, multitasking and
prioritising, team-building, time-keeping, research, deadlines,
Communications, people skills and programme production and radio presenting.

*Creative Skills to Employment Award*

Through Unity 101’s “Creative Skills to Employment” programme, funded by
European Social Fund and Skills Funding Agency, local unemployed people
were given the opportunity to gain valuable skills and personal development
through radio broadcast training. On successful completion of the
programme, each participant presented their own live radio programmes. Of
the  12 trainees, 4 went on to full time employment, 2 into part time
employment, 2 into Higher Education, 1 into Further Education, 1 into
voluntary employment, 1 became self employed, and 1 continued with an
existing programme of learning.

*Organisation Award*

Southampton’s two universities—long term supporters of Unity 101 Community
Radio— each presented a Special Award to a student for achieving goals over
and above expectations. The Awards were presented by a specially invited
former student of each university who have gone on to succeed in their
chosen career.

*Statements from Unity 101 supporters:*

*Jason Horton, Head of Regional & Local Programmes, BBC South:* “BBC Radio
Solent has had a relationship with Unity 101 for five years now and we are
extremely proud of our links with the station. Over the next 12 months I
know our relationship will become stronger as my colleagues help to train
members of the Unity team. Very early on in 2015 we’ll feature some of the
stories generated by Unity 101 on our Breakfast Programme.”

*Robin Britton, ITV News Meridian:* “Unity 101 is a great community station
and ITV News Meridian is proud to work in partnership with the team and in
a relationship that works for both of us. ITV News is able to provide
opportunities to individuals and groups who want to gain experience in TV
and online production and the Unity 101 team help us to be relevant to all
communities in our region. We look forward to working even more closely
together in 2015.”

*Richard Kennett, University of Southampton:* “The University of
Southampton recognises Unity 101’s key role in supporting the community and
we value our relationship with the station.”

*Mike Wilkinson, Southampton Solent University:* “Southampton Solent
University has enjoyed working with Unity 101 for many years, giving great
opportunities for students and staff to engage with the diverse communities
of the area through participation as presenters, in programming,
broadcasting support and at various superb events. Well done to all at
Unity 101 for an enduring partnership which we value highly.”

Unity 101 Community Radio broadcasts 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, in
and around Southampton on 101.1FM, online www.unity101.org and on
Smartphones via the free Unity 101 Radio app. To find out more about this
award winning cimmunity radio station, visit www.unity101.org or
www.facebook.com/unity101

\\

https://www.facebook.com/CommunityMediaAssociation