[cma-l] Question about Classical Music Show

tlr at gairloch.co.uk tlr at gairloch.co.uk
Tue Feb 24 15:09:16 GMT 2015

We used to have our silence detector set to quite a short time, and if we were
mixing down any programmes with long intended near silences we mixed in a 30Hz
tone at about -15dB every 5 seconds or so which is enough to hold off the
silence detector. Most of our classical music mixdowns end up incorporating
quite a few patches of these!

The silence guard tone is just about audible, or can be sensed at any rate, when
listening at fairly high level on high quality headphones, but otherwise goes
completely unnoticed, and is preferable to a blast of pop music from our standby
service!

The alternative of course is to lower the threshold on the detector, but that we
found caused problems when computer playouts or remote contributions went silent
as far as programme content was concerned, but has enough very quiet background
noise or occasional clicks that would stop the silence detector kicking in. A
fine balancing act can be needed!

There is another potential issue if you have a signal processor on the output
with fairly 'strong' settings as it may effectively ramp up background noise to
relatively high levels  during very quiet passages.

Alex