[cma-l] BBC signs a 'Memorandum of Understanding' with the Community Media Association

Canalside's The Thread office at thethread.org.uk
Tue Feb 17 16:27:31 GMT 2015

I have always thought that when this originally was thought up the payment
was a secondary issue. Personally, I think it still is. I suggested that if
the local BBC Station provided a local News service for the Community
Station with maybe 3 - 4 minute bulletins by some of their trainees, then
everyone is happy. They have people twiddling their thumbs, the reporting is
real, it gets aired, we get a local news service as well as a National Sky /
IRN instead of an adhoc cobbled together sometimes rag, tag and bobtail
output .. I don't think in this case money comes into it ......however, if
as pointed out it goes full circle and we end up providing News for the BBC,
after they have (let's say, canned 100 people off)    then you drift down a
completely different road altogether.

I wish to remain positive and don't wish to start slinging doom and gloom .
I suppose it is a lets suck it and see and look for two way traffic.

Potentially, it could be good

Nick

  _____