[cma-l] Poor Reception

David Duffy david at theradiopeople.co.uk
Fri Feb 6 12:09:04 GMT 2015

James, I commend you for being able to distill the two points that Nick was making from his not inconsiderable email. I would respectfully suggest that much of Nick’s frustration is clearly visceral.  Perhaps the reason that some of Nick’s pronouncements go unchallenged is because they don’t resonate with many other stations around the land in the same way that they do at Canalside for Nick.

However, you did write ‘... it's hardly surprising that one of RadioCentre's concerns about community radio is that it devalues radio as a whole’. This caused some discussion in the office and, I must admit, some division of opinion.

So for my part: It is clear that, RadioCentre is rightly motivated to protect the interest of it’s paying members - commercial radio companies.  So, RadioCentre’s concern is not primarily that community radio devalues radio as a whole but that it threatens to devalue commercial radio. To my ears, this is like the big supermarkets saying the concern they have about small independent retailers is that they devalue shopping as a whole. Fortunately for my wife and millions of shoppers, no one is going to be deterred from shopping because they’ve a bad experience in one or two shops - independent or multiple.  Likewise, listeners and advertisers are not going to write off radio as a whole just because they hear one or two weak stations - community or commercial.

I would suggest that if RadioCentre is genuine and sincere about their concerns then I would encourage them to become part of the solution.  In the words of Mahatma Ghandi 'Be the change that you wish to see in the world’.

Regards
David