[cma-l] Recordings from the Online Radio Conf. held on 29/01/15

Pippa at Curly Radio pippa at curlyradio.com
Mon Feb 2 14:31:40 GMT 2015

Afternoon everyone,

I went along to this conference last week.  It was very good and really highlighted how different our objectives and measures of success are across the sector.  The technical and funding debates were particularly good.   Just beware when listening to the Legal section, because the lawyer stated that Ofcom Broadcast Code rules apply to online radio, which they don’t.  That’s not to say that you can’t be sued for defamation though, or that it’s not a good idea to follow the rules for taste and decency purposes.

In the morning I went to an Editorial Decision-Making workshop run by RigTrain (part of the Radio Independents Group).   They pointed us to the ‘Green Book’ of editorial guidelines.  Apparently, these incorporate,  and in some cases go further than,  the Ofcom rules.   It was quite refreshing to find out that even the most top notch producers need workshops like this too!

Worth a read if you’ve not seen them already.
http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/broadcasting/broadcast-codes/broadcast-code/harmoffence/
http://www.bbc.co.uk/editorialguidelines/

Pippa
07973 710963