[cma-l] 4ZZZ accounts (?)

Ian Hickling transplanfm at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 8 12:19:00 GMT 2015

Oh - come on fellas - that's never going to happen - is it?
As long as we have the WTA and some form of BA, there's always going to be regulation - and so there should be.
"Light touch"?Depends on who's doing it and who's on the receiving end whether it's seen as "light" or not.
CR stations get it slightly wrong with their KCs and get a whopping (for them) fine.
The commercial giants do more or less as they like - and threaten Ofcom if they don't get their own way.
Why otherwise would we have stupidly low powers for CR stations - restriction on advertising - and some areas designated as "no go" because there's a resident ILR that doesn't want competition.It's all around you if you look.
The CMA isn't in a position to bid for spectrum - even if there were a segment available.
The BBC isn't going to give up any of its heritage and random FM occupancy voluntarily and I can't see Ofcom or any possible successor making it happen.
So - the solution?
Radical changes to Regulation.Details confidential at the moment - but the DCMS is at least listening.
Ian Hickling
Partner

Office: 01635 578435  (7am-11pm UK time)Carphone: 07530 980115 (only responds when driving)6 Horn Street, Compton, NEWBURY, RG20 6QS