[cma-l] Portsmouth radio stations join forces in a bid for a DAB trial licence

CMA-L cma-l at commedia.org.uk
Thu Apr 9 14:17:23 BST 2015

From:
http://www.a516digital.com/2015/04/portsmouth-radio-stations-join-forces.html

Local radio operators in Portsmouth are hoping that their city is chosen as
one of ten pilot areas licensed by radio regulator Ofcom to trial small
scale DAB digital radio services. If successful in their application,
transmissions could start as soon as July.

The application is a collaboration led by Angel Radio involving local
community broadcasters Express FM, JAMM Radio and The Flash that plan to
bring more choice to DAB digital radio in Portsmouth under the banner of
"Solent Wireless".

The Ofcom pilot will allow many very small broadcasters the opportunity to
be heard on DAB digital radio for the first time, using low cost technology
to distribute the signal around the area at a fraction of the price that
broadcasters would need to pay to broadcast more widely on DAB. In
February, Ofcom invited interested parties to apply to be part of the
pilot, which is hoped will pave the way for a permanent transmission.

One of the stations taking part in the Portsmouth application is The Flash,
a community radio station based in Havant.  The station founder Martin
Kirby said:

"We have been operating as an internet station for almost three years now
with the occasional seven day FM broadcast to the local area. To have the
chance to take part in this Ofcom trial is by far the most exciting
opportunity we have had so far. It will give us the chance to offer our
unique service to a wider audience and for a more substantial period of
time."

Tony Smith, Station Manager of Angel Radio, said:

"We will be able to offer extra choice to listeners in Portsmouth through
our proposed spin-off service, Angel Xtra. This is a very exciting
opportunity available to us and we have worked hard collaborating with our
broadcast partners to come up with a proposition that showcases the best in
Portsmouth broadcasting."

David Harber, Commercial Manager of Express FM said:

"Many people are aware that much of the offering from commercial radio
stations is homogenised and lacks real variety. We are proud to be working
in partnership to not only geographically extend own range of ‘Passionately
Portsmouth’ programmes but also to support this opportunity to fully extend
listener choice in and around Portsmouth."

Solent Wireless advises that Celador Radio’s The Breeze was offered the
opportunity to join the application but declined.

There have been other applications to participate in the trial from other
parts of the UK. Ofcom will soon announce further information about the
applications and which areas have been chosen for the trials.

\\

https://www.facebook.com/CommunityMediaAssociation

Canstream Internet Radio & Video
http://www.canstream.co.uk/