[cma-l] Community Radio on AM

Two Lochs Radio tlr at gairloch.co.uk
Wed Sep 24 18:11:01 BST 2014

I understand the 'complex scientific' side of it, but I still don't honestly see how the map helps give any insight other than in the crudest measure of overall density of stations.

It shows the general density of stations and is a nice tool for browsing stations and frequencies, but it gives no visual representation whatever of frequencies or powers, so I don't honestly see how it gives even the vaguest insight into the interference landscape for a station.

It could maybe take useful steps in that direction with some development. For example if one could select a frequency or transmitter of interest and set a filter to show only stations of that frequency, or of that frequency plus adjacent and/or image channels it would start to give an idea of potential for interference. Combined with perhaps a crude free space range indication using semi-transparent overlays based on on powers and direction templayes it might beging to give a rough feel for the interference landscape for a given station. But as it stands I don't see how it does that in the slightest.

Not meaning to be picky, honest - I like it for what it is, and it does give a feel for the geographic distribution of CR stations, but it doesn't seem to me to offer any useful insight or even vague feel for the interference landscape.

Alex