[cma-l] Local, National News and Traffic Updates Request

Melita Dennett melita.dennett at bbc.co.uk
Tue Nov 18 14:48:09 GMT 2014

Hi all,

Interesting concept, that we'd "all appreciate news is essential". RadioReverb in Brighton broadcasts no news, no travel, no weather (and no ads or playlisted music come to that). Why would we when we have no resources to do it well and meaningfully for our listeners?

What we do do, however, is provide the most in-depth coverage of local events that are frequently ignored or brushed over by other local media and we know that's what our listeners tune to us for, as well as extended airtime for local bands, grassroots community organisations and people with a story to tell who are often just wheeled in and out for two minutes on other radio stations. I don't understand why stations with scant resources would bust a gut to do a weak copy of what can be found elsewhere. We pride ourselves on our distinctiveness and doing properly what we do well, which is being different.

I'm wondering if this scramble to mimic other stations is the reason why so many community stations are unravelling.

On another note, I'm also wondering what Ofcom thought it would gain by making public that list of stations it's investigating. Why not ask them first and then name and shame if they really are taking the mickey?

Onward and upward
Melita
www.radioreverb.com<http://www.radioreverb.com>

PS We're not all "guys" or "chaps", you know.