[cma-l] Continued Viablity of Community Radio Stations

Trevor Lockwood lockwood at btinternet.com
Mon Nov 17 13:42:27 GMT 2014

Nick's rant is an excellent riposte, and as there is an election not far away, and we have radio stations, why don't we make our concerns an election issue?

The BBC licence will soon be considered. For half a day's broadcasting my county's BBC station employs about 45 people, and spends - millions. They get an audience because they have coverage - not sure about their content - although presenter's try hard, but with restrictive playlists and the Beeb's dictatorial centralised approach they are hampered.

Our campaign should include using the BBC's local radio income for community purposes. We can argue that the Beeb does not, indeed cannot, provide the local service that community stations could provide - if properly financed.

Attitudes must be changed, and we have the means to effect change, the way to engender support. Stopping broadcast is not really the way, we should all be broadcasting regular programmes that reveal what we can do, what we want to do, what we would like to do, and how we can create communities.

Regular advert-length broadcasts about how wonderful we are - will work.

Trevor Lockwood