[cma-l] Consultation on Renewal of Commercial Analogue Licences

James Cridland james at cridland.net
Fri Nov 14 11:25:27 GMT 2014

For what it's worth, I think that the "extend licences for 5 years" is the
least-worst option.

I don't believe that a government-mandated switchover will happen any time
soon, and think it's bad for the industry. However, I can see some radio
stations wishing to hand their analogue licences back - and being a little
nervous that they'll simply be readvertised if they do that.

Given that I don't think a switchover will happen, I was highly against the
idea of a "extend licences indefinitely"; but it's also a massive waste of
money to readvertise those licences too - particularly since we don't know
how fast FM will continue to decline. I've not listened to FM for years now
at home.

I think knocking DAB is a little pointless in any response; audiences are
moving over to it, both here and in most European countries. The issue is
that it's entirely unsuitable for community broadcasters at present; but
that's little to do with a consultation on analogue licences.

//j