[cma-l] Achievements for RadioReverb in Brighton

Melita Dennett melita.dennett at bbc.co.uk
Tue Nov 11 12:02:55 GMT 2014

Hi all,
Amidst all the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune that community radio has to suffer, I just thought I'd share a few success stories for RadioReverb, Brighton & Hove's local station, this year.
Kathy Caton, Presenter of Out in Brighton, the city's only LGBT show on FM, was named as one of the UK's 100 most influential LGBT people in last Sunday's Independent on Sunday "Rainbow List", up from 81 last year to number 45 in 2014. The acknowledgement is for her work on the programme and her contribution to Brighton Transformed, an oral history book and radio documentary project in collaboration with QueenSpark Books, recording contemporary stories of Transgender people in the city.
RadioReverb is a finalist in the Brighton Community & Voluntary sector awards later today in the "Small group - big achiever" category. We are one of the largest entirely voluntary organisations in the city (if not THE largest) with more than a hundred regular volunteers and totally voluntary management and board to run it.
Earlier this year we moved to new premises, which we built from scratch by ourselves. We will be offering bespoke 1:1 training including media training, voiceover and mic skills and podcasting.  We were also successful in gaining an Ofcom grant for a Training Manager, who is now in post and devising 2015's work plan, plus a grant specifically for training LGBT community reporters, and a council grant toward a (small) part of our running costs, in acknowledgment of our significance in the community.
Claire Parker, producer and presenter of Time 4 T, the UK's first (and only?) regular Transgender show on FM, along with Kathy for Out in Brighton,  were both finalists in the 2014 Ultimate Planet Awards - LBQ community awards<https://www.facebook.com/UltimatePlanetAwards> for "Radio Show of the Year".
We've also been shortlisted in the forthcoming Radio Production Awards for the Production Hero Award alongside your Somethin' Elses and Bauer Medias, so that's pretty good too.
http://www.radioacademy.org/events/radio-production-awards-2/radio-production-awards-2014/rpas-2014-nominations/
That's enough trumpet-blowing then! If you'd like to find out more, here we are: http://radioreverb.com/
Cheers
Melita