[cma-l] "Since the pirate stations shipped out, the FM radio spectrum is being repopulated by the people" - The Wire

Tamar Millen tamar.millen at commedia.org.uk
Mon Jun 16 10:32:47 BST 2014

Wonderful article on radio in London in The Wire

=================

Since the pirate stations shipped out, the FM radio spectrum is being
repopulated by the people

"Going to church is now exciting," purrs a woman's voice in my
headphones as I roll through Shoreditch, East London. In recent months
I've taken to carrying a pocket FM radio everywhere, and bus rides have
become journeys of discovery. There's none of the buffering delays, 3G
deadspots and dead batteries you get with smartphones. Instead, it
connects you continuously to the sounds of the city. The dial on the
transistor radio offers freedom -- if you don't like what you hear, you
give it a spin, and get dozens of stations right away.

http://www.thewire.co.uk/in-writing/columns/derek-walmsley_community-fm

--
Tamar Millen
Arts Coordinator