[cma-l] The Guardian 14/02/14 - Ofcom boss: 'BBC licence fee should be shared with other broadcasters'

Trevor Lockwood lockwood at btinternet.com
Mon Feb 17 11:10:57 GMT 2014

Marilyn

Unfortunately competition destroys the small people. Supermarkets have beaten local shops. Cheap foreign goods destroyed British industry.

The BBC is badly-run, expensive and inefficient but there will be no innovation or dynamism if commerce gets its hands on the cash.

Let's make a small start - allow community media to merge with BBC local radio - and test the water first, before allowing Collete Bowes' ideas to emerge.

That's just the view of an economist (LSE) challenging an economist from Queen Mary College. I'd be happy to debate that contention - in support of the little people.

I explored this a little in a recent blog: http://www.trevorlockwood.com/myth-competition/ It is a fallacy that should be challenged

Trevor