[cma-l] CR and the 50%

Pippa at Curly Radio pippa at curlyradio.com
Mon Feb 17 11:26:11 GMT 2014

This is a really interesting discussion and it highlights for me the different backgrounds we come from when we move into CR (which is a good thing).    I’m from a business background, so commercial activity is far easier than navigating 3rd sector funding applications.

Let us not forget that CR stations are restricted by Ofcom to their coverage area/power to the tx.  Therefore my view is that CR stations should be free to chase as much commercial revenue as they can within their geographic area.  The ‘community’ bit is surely driven by content and working collaboratively with the community and other nearby CR stations.  I’m sure that well run CR stations who sound slick, with well trained presenters and great local content will knock the spots off the local commercial competition.   We proved that recently with our pilot in Wycombe.

I recently called a nearby commercial station (part of a small group) for a quote to advertise a business I’m working with.  They want £16 per spot, I kid you not.  After a live breakfast show, the rest of their content is largely voicetracked and, at 7pm it is jukebox all the way!

I know which service I’d rather listen to and I’m sure listeners don’t really mind how it is funded.

Pippa

Philippa Sawyer
Curly Radio Productions
@curly_radio