[cma-l] Stroud FM

Jaqui Devereux jaqui.devereux at commedia.org.uk
Thu Feb 13 15:47:50 GMT 2014

Dear all

I refer you to the DCMS Consultation which came out this morning, posted to
this list - Q1 seeks views on removing the no advertising rule altogether,
other questions seek views on amending the 50% rule where advertising is
allowed.

Deadline for responses is 23rd April, with a view to amending the law in
the autumn.

Best wishes

Jaqui, CMA

On 13 February 2014 11:53, Terry Doyle <terrydoyle at nnbc.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I simply don't understand the logic behind the *no advertising or 50%
> advertising rule*... It exists to *'protect'* the revenue streams of
> commercial radio who might go bust if community radio were allowed to
> compete on a level playing field. Is that scenario likely? Where are these
> commercial radio failures?
>
> In another life (as a native of Kildare, Irish racehorse country) the name
> Tabor has other meanings for me.
>
> Ashley Tabor is son of Michael Tabor who in turn is well connected to the
> highest echelons of the horse racing world in Ireland and worldwide.
> Michael Tabor is also closely connected to John Magnier and JP McManus...
> all of which are fine gentlemen and, from Kentucky to Dubai are considered
> the real racehorse royalty. Their combined wealth is measured in billions
> rather than millions. One other fact that you might find interesting, is
> the £375 million used to create Global Radio founded by Michael Tabors son
> Ashley came directly from Michael Tabor, John Magnier and JP McManus.
>
> My point is this! The investors/shareholders of Global Radio Ltd (all
>  millionaires, or a billionaire in the case of JP McManus) are very rich
> people, very rich indeed. I congratulate them on their financial success.
> BUT...
>
> Current community radio rules on advertising are in place to protect the
> vast advertising revenue streams of companies such as Global Radio (and
> their shareholders) who do nothing, nothing at all for the communities they
> broadcast to.
>
> Radio stations like Stroud FM who existed for the good of the community
> have had to close because they are not permitted to have a tiny share of
> the advertising pot so the millionaire radio shareholders across the UK can
> be protected financially. Is that fair?
>
> No it is not. It is absolutely ludicrous that such a scenario is allowed
> to exist.
>
> Best Regards
> Terry Doyle

Jaqui Devereux