[cma-l] Stroud FM

Terry Doyle terrydoyle at nnbc.co.uk
Thu Feb 13 11:53:29 GMT 2014

Hi

I simply don't understand the logic behind the no advertising or 50% advertising rule... It exists to 'protect' the revenue streams of commercial radio who might go bust if community radio were allowed to compete on a level playing field. Is that scenario likely? Where are these commercial radio failures?

In another life (as a native of Kildare, Irish racehorse country) the name Tabor has other meanings for me.

Ashley Tabor is son of Michael Tabor who in turn is well connected to the highest echelons of the horse racing world in Ireland and worldwide. Michael Tabor is also closely connected to John Magnier and JP McManus... all of which are fine gentlemen and, from Kentucky to Dubai are considered the real racehorse royalty. Their combined wealth is measured in billions rather than millions. One other fact that you might find interesting, is the £375 million used to create Global Radio founded by Michael Tabors son Ashley came directly from Michael Tabor, John Magnier and JP McManus.

My point is this! The investors/shareholders of Global Radio Ltd (all millionaires, or a billionaire in the case of JP McManus) are very rich people, very rich indeed. I congratulate them on their financial success. BUT...

Current community radio rules on advertising are in place to protect the vast advertising revenue streams of companies such as Global Radio (and their shareholders) who do nothing, nothing at all for the communities they broadcast to.

Radio stations like Stroud FM who existed for the good of the community have had to close because they are not permitted to have a tiny share of the advertising pot so the millionaire radio shareholders across the UK can be protected financially. Is that fair?

No it is not. It is absolutely ludicrous that such a scenario is allowed to exist.

Best Regards

Terry Doyle