[cma-l] New Year Message from the CMA Chair

CMA-L cma-l at commedia.org.uk
Wed Dec 31 11:58:07 GMT 2014

To CMA members,

This has been a year of great change at the CMA. We are in pivotal times as
we look to meet the challenges of a fast changing media landscape.

My own research during 2012 and 13 told me that whilst the CMA was
delivering a lot we were not always connecting with the principal needs of
our members. During this year we have taken the opportunity to really
analyse how this organisation works so we can return to what we have proven
we can do well. Supported by Council and our office I want the CMA to be
nationally focussed on bringing our sector together and united under one,
credible voice that will lobby for, and serve the best interests of our
members with key stakeholders such as government, Ofcom, BBC, RadioCentre,
and royalty agencies. I want our office to be the point of call when advice
is needed. I want us to be the central forum that links key partners
delivering excellent services within our sector. In short I want us to be
visionary with a clear sense of purpose offering strong leadership that
ensures we make the most of the huge opportunities I believe are out there
at a time of big changes to the landscape of local broadcasting.

This is a process we are very much still in. At the heart of our own
reorientation is making sure we are operating as an efficient business. How
can we expect funders to back our mission if our own house is not fully in
order? Much of the work we have done this year has been internal changes
that ensure we have the best operational systems in place. In creating a
more robust business model we can then expand the services we are able to
offer our members.

As we know with working closely with our good friends at The Radio Academy
we must ensure that we adapt to the changing needs of our times. Please be
patient as we continue to evolve as an organisation. Please continue to
support us as we go about the business of building an organisation that can
offer higher levels of support to you.

The CMA is now run by an intermediary management group (IMG) that includes
employees and Council members. I’d like to take the opportunity to thank
Bill, Tamar and Cathy in the office, Liz from IMG, as well as our Council
for working so hard in achieving the rapid pace of positive redevelopment.
On behalf of us all at the centre of the CMA I wish our members a very
happy and prosperous new year.

It’s going to be a busy one. First up is The Community Radio Order and I
notice I have a missed call from DCMS. Back shortly...

Best to all,

*Dom Chambers*
*Chair*

*Mobile*: +44 (0) 7802 457 396