[cma-l] Preparation

Two Lochs Radio tlr at gairloch.co.uk
Fri Dec 19 16:28:50 GMT 2014

Livewire certainly has negligible latency over a LAN, but when it comes to
studio-transmitter links you aren't usually in a situation where a single
LAN will cover it - uslaly it's a point-to-point or WAN link. It's still
perfectly possible of course, but real-time protocols such as Livewire and
the others don't have the error-correction that comes with TCP-IP and of
course have no significant amount of buffering, so you need a really solid
IP link of high-speed, which can significantly raise the cost of wireless
links, especially over longer distances, and they don't work across typical
public networks.

On the other hand, good quality analogue links, such as SHF/microwave, tend
to be very pricey compared with reasonably good IP wireless links - I can't
see any inherent reason for this, it's just market economics of scale.

One aspect easily overlooked when considering the analogue/digital options
is that it can dictate where you put the ancillary gear - processor,
multiplexer, RDS encoder. With an analogue link it's usually most
cost-effective and convenient to have all these at the station end with a
single composite analogue signal sent over the link straight to the TX, but
with digital it's usually more practical to send a stereo audio feed on the
link and have the multiplexing and encoding etc at the TX end.

It's possible to use an ordinary PC to do stereo and RDS encoding and a
high-quality 192kHz PC sound card to regenerate a composite feed, but I
haven't seen anyone offerring this cheaply as two halves mediated by an IP
link, only and all-in-one PC based encoder.

Alex