[cma-l] Community radio and transnational encounters

CMA cma-l at commedia.org.uk
Tue Dec 9 16:33:05 GMT 2014

*Community radio and transnational encounters*

/A note by Peter Lewis & Caroline Mitchell, December 2014/

The HERA-funded, three-year Transnational Radio Encounters (TRE) project
(https://transnationalradio.org/) has now entered its second year. TRE's
seven partners, from the UK, Denmark, Germany and the Netherlands, have
been looking at the way radio has been a factor in constructing
identities within and across national borders. Much of the study is
concerned with national broadcasting organisations; we two are focusing
on community radio (CR)and in the first year, we have been researching
to what extent community radio within the UK is being used by minority
groups to make connections with similar groups overseas.

The minority groups we have talked to include:

·minority ethnic groups, whether belonging to historically settled
communities, or more recent refugee and migrant communities. Their
transnational encounters might include connections with a homeland
and/or with diasporic groups in Europe and beyond. We are also
interested in the connections that people have between radio stations
via the music that they broadcast.

·women's radio -- a 'social minority' in so far as women are
under-represented in mainstream media. Many women are involved in UK CR
and some belong to international women's groups such as Women´s
International News Gathering Service (WINGS: www.wings.org
<http://www.wings.org>)

·stations whose main focus is on sound and radio as an art form. The
Radianetwork (http://www.radia.fm/) links some two dozen stations across
Europe

·LGBT programmers

·stations whose output combines music with language spoken by a minority
within a nation (Gaelic, Irish)

·stations with an interest in Green ways of living

By connections, we mean anything from contact with listeners or
listening groups to arrangements for exchanging or co-producing
programming, or exchanges of staff/volunteers. We are also interested in
any personal or station archives of transnational community radio
programmes.

Now we want to extend our research across mainland Europe and develop
ways of mapping, connecting and introducing community stations across
Europe to each other. We could act as a sort of 'dating agency',
arranging Transnational Radio Encounters for those who have similar
interests relating to their social, ethnic and cultural identities.

*How can you be involved?*

1.Please tell us about any transnational activities that you are
involved in or have been involved in, in the past.

2.Would you be interested in linking up with other stations and
programme makers with similar interests?

3.Please pass this on to anyone else you know who might be interested in
linking up their transnational radio activities

Peter Lewis (p.lewis at londonmet.ac.uk <mailto:p.lewis at londonmet.ac.uk>)
and Caroline Mitchell (caroline.mitchell at sunderland.ac.uk
<mailto:caroline.mitchell at sunderland.ac.uk>)