[cma-l] DCMS Consultation

Richard Hilton Richard.Hilton at bitc.org.uk
Tue Apr 15 14:59:37 BST 2014

Ah the 50% rule!  Below is part of what I posted back in February on the subject.  In essence; most of us aren’t getting close to the 50% limit and fighting for those stations that can’t take any on-air advertising is far more important.

Ofcom’s 2013 Communications Market Report has detailed information on our sector.  Overall in terms of income in 2012 29% came from On-air advertising and sponsorship.  Grants made up 29%, SLA’s 7%, donations 14% and other 20%.

So how is abolishing the 50% rule is going to help?  At 29% it’s not that the sector overall is close to hitting 50% limit.

Ofcom break these income categories by type of station. Their figures show the % for On-air advertising and sponsorship as follows:-

Geographic town / rural          32%
Geographic rural                     23%
Minority ethnic                       43%
Military                                   7%
Religious                                 31%
Youth                                      28%

So for minority ethnic stations at 43% the abolition of the rule might help but I can’t see it helping others. Personally speaking I think the rule was set up for all the right reasons; it encourages diversity in our funding models and makes us less dependent on one source of income.  Subtly it governs our sound and ethos. Maybe argue to push it to, say, 60% but I believe this fight is a red herring.

A far most justifiable fight to pick would be to campaign for those community stations that aren’t allowed any on-air advertising and sponsorship as they have a small commercial station broadcasting near them. Their case is far more important. That is where we should be concentrating our fire power.

Regards

Richard