[cma-l] Deducing FM listening figures

Bay Fm Radio radio at bayfm.co.uk
Wed Sep 11 11:11:20 BST 2013

Hi,

     Normal   0               false   false   false      EN-GB   X-NONE   X-NONE                                                     MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

We try to gauge our listenership by doing our own surveys.

We carried one out at the end of May this year and are about to do another again shortly. Our population is around 36,000 we try and survey 1% = 360 local people.

We are dressed in plain clothes and ask no leading questions and only ask 3.

People are often happy to answer a quick survey. ie.

 1. Do you listen to local radio, if so, which?

2. What times of the day do you listen to radio?

3. What age group are you?

Then we work out our percentage figures that.

According to BBC research one in a 1,000 people text into a radio station. However, I think it's more like one in 2,000.

So, If you receive on average of twenty texts in a two hour programme remove the people you know, other presenters who text in and repeat texts from listeners your left with 10 independent texts.

Halve that figure and times it by a thousand = Five thousand listeners. Not 100% accurate however, it did matched our survey results.

Andy.

Bay FM.

	d=1e100.net; s=20130820;
	h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to
	:content-type;
	bh=29cwVCjPW//vylMaTll+UHKsI21dLMPgcp7QJF/clnY=;
	b=Mhx5gkPiunOGKdeKISXqP5zlnFrfku3RElGrXJndVxmy1Vs8Jc97SelyJRvVjsccWP
	Uk0dbSCf/D8FRpUIPHuxsfFBA1A/RnQuyv+CTCDGOTOogimPOzSOVYlc2N0JD1YBvVFv
	y7SsiHYK/h0FxtQtJSKgonhaHOJ2s/RAQdFWAb8HcoNb8JGSBq5PW7jq12qY65Un87Wt
	yzhfL4X1F1QhDR4MCiEEd1ddIZiarM4ts1BQB5xusbGUcasKuylhWLQoSzzyHaNO9mUV
	hxETNnBoeENzaDqUYtM/gNC2hLq5S1C5hQ05l/cb0C1mR9TxLP4LfC1wucvFFcnsmZ4M
	pkng==