[cma-l] Mixers

Two Lochs Radio tlr at gairloch.co.uk
Tue Nov 12 16:18:30 GMT 2013

Do you mean £5k-6k per mixer or for the matched pair. If each, then I would
strongly recommend looking at the Axia Audio system - fully digital, with
just ethernet cables to link between units and superbly engineered. They
have some expensive modular systems, but they also have some very good value
self-contained ones Axia Radius for example is a very tidy unit, but easily
linkable between studios, and as expandable as you want. Axia uses ethernet
rather thna USB, so you can have, for example, 8-channel audio i/o from a PC
with so much as a sound card in sight, and just one network cable between
them.

Otherwise I'd look at the D&L Airmate if you need two for £5k, or the Airlab
for around £6k each. The Airlab is primarily analogue, but incredibly
flexible for a conventional mixer. We've had the previous generation Airlab
powered up 24/7 for 11 years now, and in that time it's only needed very
minor maintenance. It still meets our routine needs, but of course the Axia
units are way way more flexible and adaptable.

D&R have an AES module available, however, if digital connection to
computers is important to you for the future, but your choice of mixer
doesn't have it, also bear in mind that you can get very cheap USB
interfaces to give you broadcast quality audio in and out from any analogue
mixer port. Again we've have a few hanging off PCs used for things like
off-air logging and streaming for years with no bother.

There are many other fine mixers out there, but these woudl be top of my
shortlist in that budget bracket.

Alex