[cma-l] PRS fees

Two Lochs Radio tlr at gairloch.co.uk
Sun Sep 25 16:47:34 BST 2011

Exactly so, Tony.

A little story to illustrate...

The law does give anyone, or any representative body, the right to request
acceptable terms from the copyright bodies. If the copyright body refuses,
then the user can determine a reasonable figure for themselves, pending a
legal or agreed settlement. The arbiter if it comes to a legal battle is the
Copyright Tribunal.

A few years back, we felt that PPL's charges with respect to minimum fees,
especially for streaming, for us as a small non-profit commercial licence
holder, and we asked them to offer us a more reasonable agreement.

They delayed and delayed and argued details and principles with us over a
very long period. In the end we said we wanted to exercise our legal right
to set for ourselves what we thought was a fair rate (a 'statutory
licence'), pending taking a case to the Copyright Tribunal.

PPL pointed out, correctly, that they could break us with the legal fees
they could rack up and force us also to incur, and we might want to
reconsider (they didn't use those exact words!). While we knew they were
quite right in that, we said that nonetheless it looked as if that was the
only option they had left us if we wanted to be treated fairly under the
law. We also pointed out that it would not attract good publicity to PPL
(David vs Goliath etc) - and they knew we would have done our best to make
the most of that aspect.

In the end just as we had got to the point where we would have had to put up
or shut up, PPL came up with a combination of alternative licences that,
while not conceding any principles, ended up with us paying what we regarded
as a more equitable amount. So we weren't forced to make a decision on going
to tribunal, and elected not to pursue the matte rof principle, which would
have risked the whole station,.

It's another facet of the discussion in another thread of how things tend to
be stacked in favour of the large well-healed and well-connected incumbents.
There is no 'small claims court' equivalent for determination of copyright
disputes.

However, the tribunal is slightly different from the courts in that it can
choose how to apportion liability for costs on principles somewhat
independent of the ruling it makes in the actual matter of a case. When all
this was happening with us, a case I looked at the tribunal's summing up on
the award of costs was considerably longer than the main judgement, but in
essence said that PPL had deliberately racked up unreasonable costs for both
sides and wasted a lot of time and effort on the apparent assumption that as
it was going to win, the loser would be heavily hit by costs. The Tribunal
decided therefore not to award all the costs against the 'loser'.

I am not a lawyer and all the above is only my lay take on what happened!

The main point is that there is nothing legal to stop the CMA or other
representative group from seeking a better settlement with the copyright
bodies, but the financial stakes are high, and provide what I would see as a
barrier to smaller bodies and the not-for-profit sector achieving fair
treatment under the law.

Alex