[cma-l] FW: A Bad Month for Community Radio

Martin Steers martin at martinsteers.co.uk
Mon Sep 19 14:15:05 BST 2011

That article isnt particularly  helpfully for community radio, my advice
would be to not engage with it (eg dont comment) as thats what they want..

Its worth remembering there are hundreds of CR stations broadcasting
fantastic content and being at the heart of their community (as well as the
social gain, community development, community training etc) and every now
and again a few stations have problems / mess up / things out of their
control and they get in trouble.. Thats a very small percentage.. I would
hasten a guess (although dont have the maths) that its about the same
percentage of breaches / actual on air stations of commercial radio if you
take year on year.

In regard to your question about TV and Radio, they have different rules and
different standards, people (eg the population) have traditionally held
radio to a higher standard so expect a different level of language then to
TV, thats also why TV has a watershed and radio doesnt.. I do agree that on
certain TV channels and certain times I do question the language used.. But
you also have to consider that year on year (historically) language has been
relaxed and some words allowed and others not allowed... Ofcom conducts
regular audience research about what people consider ok..

Martin