[cma-l] Offensive language on radio - how to avoid the pitfalls

Julian Mellor julian at 10radio.org
Mon Sep 19 11:11:13 BST 2011

This has already raised some issues and concerns for us.

Underlying it is I think the whole regulatory setup of radio i.e.
everyone plays by the same rules.  In itself there's nothing wrong
with that, but when the rules are written by organisations with
professional and paid capacity, those rules can easily be blind to the
challenges that they pose to organisations running under limited
volunteer steam.

At 10Radio we have a huge music library gleaned from our members' and
volunteers' personal collections.  Over the years we have weeded that
to take out the explicits, but the occasional blip does still happen
on our sustaining service (and results in immediate deletion).  We
encourage people to add new tracks and keep the collection alive (and
we give them guidelines), but we don't have the capacity to supervise
or double-check everything that has been added.

Furthermore, we don't insist that people only play from our own music
library, so many bring in their own tracks.  Again, we train
presenters so that they know not to play explicits especially when
children are in the likely audience, but some people may innocently
play something that is deemed offensive (look at the words to almost
every Amy Winehouse track!).  A professional station may have the
capacity to make sure that that doesn't happen.  We simply don't.

We have even had an instance where someone with a grudge against us
sent in a request to a new presenter for a particular track.  When it
was played they complained about the explicit references.  Again, we
don't have studio producers weeding out that sort of sabotage.

I know that we have signed up to Ofcom's regulatory framework and that
is fine.  But I would hate to think that this furore about offensive
language ends up with more layers of regulation that we will simply be
unable to implement.  Some commercial stations would probably love to
see the back of the pesky community sector ("they can't meet comply
with the code, therefore they have to go"), but if we are to continue
providing the local and accessible community service which we are
committed to then at the meeting in October the CMA must fight for a
realistic approach which accommodates all sectors of the radio
industry, and not just the big boys.

toodlepip

Julian

10Radio: community radio for the 10 parishes
1 Croft Cottage, West St, Wiveliscombe, Somerset, TA4 2JP
Hear us on 105.3fm & www.10radio.org

JM tel: 01984 623 104
Studio and office tel: 01984 624 137

For details of our training, team building, hire and broadcast
services, please go to www.10radio.com

10Radio CIC
Registered Office: 1 Croft Cottage, West St, Wiveliscombe, Somerset,
TA4 2JP
Registered in England and Wales Number: 6004252