[cma-l] Charity limited company

Cathy Aitchison cathy.aitchison at btinternet.com
Sun Sep 11 20:17:45 BST 2011

Hi Claire
I'm coming late to the debate and most points have already been well made.
I would also ask you "why?" - would charitable status perhaps enable you
to access certain funds?

1. Your company Stroud Community Radio Ltd (as the Charity) would keep
the same name, so there should be no problem with the licence from Ofcom.

2. Your directors would be the trustees - that could be a problem if
they are employed by the company - check your memorandum and articles of
association (they can never be paid for being trustees, although if you
get the wording right in the relevant sections (4 and 5?) they can be
paid for services to the organisation, subject to a strict procedure
beforehand.....

3. Also check your objects carefully - however, the Charity Commission
will discuss them with you and recommend changes if they are not
charitable enough. Again, as you would be making them more charitable,
that shouldn't be a problem for Ofcom, especially as in your key
commitments your Community to be served is "The people of Stroud".

Phrases used as charitable objects include the following:
"To advance the education of the public in radio broadcasting, in
particular but not exclusively through the provision of training and
exhibitions" (I imagine you already do training)

"To provide inclusive education, arts and music facilities for [xxx
town] including a community radio service."

"To advance the education of the public, primarily but not exclusively,
across the [xxx region] in the appreciation and practice of the arts."

There's a useful section here (it's part of the guidance for setting up
a new charity, but the Charity Commission will apply the same principles
to existing companies wanting to register as charities)
http://www.charitycommission.gov.uk/Start_up_a_charity/Guidance_on_registering/Choosing_your_governing_document_index.aspx#purposes

Here is some more guidance on charitable purposes:
http://www.charitycommission.gov.uk/Charity_requirements_guidance/Charity_essentials/Public_benefit/charitable_purposes.aspx

4. I do think it would be useful to tell your contact at Ofcom that
there are now 3 different kinds of charity (that's not including CICs -
community interest companies):
a. unincorporated charities, of which there are thousands, often small,
across the country (presumably the Ofcom person was thinking of these)
b. companies like yours (limited by guarantee) which were also
registered as charities - on setting up or later (London Link Radio and
Women's Radio Group are two examples of those which registered later,
although neither have licences, so no help re. Ofcom)
c. the new Charitable Incorporated Organisation, which is halfway
between the existing two - see
http://www.charity-commission.gov.uk/start_up_a_charity/do_i_need_to_register/cios/default.aspx?
The information is dated today, 11th Sept, and it warns that there may
be changes to the guidance - however, it includes info on how a
charitable company can convert to a CIO, so worth a look. Under "How
does an existing charitable company convert to a CIO?" it specifically says:
"Although the regulations have not been made yet, we know from the
Charities Act 2006 that the process will be relatively straightforward.
The existing corporate body will simply be re-registered as a CIO with a
new constitution. The conversion process will not affect the legal
personality of the organisation or its business relationships."

So that could be good news, although what with CICs, and now CIOs, they
don't make it easy to follow, do they :)

Good luck
Regards
Cathy Aitchison