[cma-l] Charity limited company

London Chinese Radio admin at londonhuayu.co.uk
Sat Sep 10 11:23:44 BST 2011

Hi,

We had a similar situation back in 2009, when we applied for a license.
We are a charity, and needed to become a body corporate. So our plan was:
1. to set up a limited company of the same name,
2. to transfer the assets to the company.
3. Dissolve the charity.
4. Make the company into a charitable company (which would give it a new
charity number).

At least I think that was how we were going to do it...
I guess you are already half way there?

Failing that, you could always become a pirate station, apparently Ofcom are
quite flexible with these. You can do just about anything you like!

Peter Vautier
London Chinese Radio

On Sat, Sep 10, 2011 at 9:33 AM, claire penketh
<clairepenketh at yahoo.co.uk>wrote:

>  Stroud FM, currently a company limited by guarantee, is thinking about
> becoming a charity limited company. Had a quick chat with OFCOM re
> implications for our licence, which is held in the name of Stroud Community
> Radio Limited and they said that we will have to keep the current ltd
> company and set up the charity alongside, because the charity isn't a body
> coperate. Then they suggesed I ask the CMA what other members do, so here I
> am. However, I think a charity limited company is a body corporate? But, if
> the licence is held by Stroud community Radio limited, does that mean we
> still have to keep the company, or could the licence be transferred to the
> charity limited company?
>
> Yours, confused.
>
>  Claire Penketh, Stroud FM

野火烧不尽,春风吹又生