[cma-l] Meeting for UK wide advertising for community radio (and laterpossibly TV...)

Husain Fazel husain at freshfutures.org
Fri Sep 9 15:18:26 BST 2011

Hi all,

I've been meaning to write in to this list after seeing the message below.

===

Firstly, I'd like to say how pleased I am that these particular
proposals are gathering momentum. Having worked in community radio
until very recently, I know that many organisations are facing very
challenging problems in the current economical climate and it's really
good to see that the sector as a whole is coming together to develop
innovative new solutions.

My own area of expertise is web related, so I look forward to meeting
many of you in person @ the meeting to discuss this aspect of the
proposals:

"...but do believe there is a potential ads market out there for
stations that can take on air advertising and for stations' internet
presence as well"

As part of our research into monetizing our youth employment web
platform, we've created a scalable event tracking server which can
handle high levels of concurrency. The alternatives on the market that
we researched quickly become extremely expensive when you go beyond a
few thousand data points.

We developed this to use in conjunction with tracking scripts to
provide advertisers with a wealth of information about users of our
site. Naturally I believe that we would want to work towards a goal
where eventually advertisers can select from a pool of community radio
stations of interest to them and decide mediums they want to target
with their advertisements.

The logistics of running the campaigns, especially on the web is
probably out of the reach / budget of many smaller stations so a
standardised, easy to install, verifiable method of measuring and
reporting web analytics is what we were aiming to create. I feel that
adding the weight of such technology behind these proposals (maybe in
a proof of concept?) will mean we'll be a taken a lot more seriously!

===

Secondly, I did chuckle when I saw Donald's name.... I was expecting
something to pop up eventually!

We have worked very closely with Donald in the past and I know first
hand the passion and experience he has for community radio. He is
certainly a larger than life character and I'm not at all surprised
that he's pushed the proposals this far - one of my colleagues spoke
to him a few months ago whilst the idea was still on the drawing
board... even then we got the impression that Donald had immense
belief in the potential of a national UK wide ads agency and would do
his utmost to make it a reality - it looks like many of you feel the
same way!

As I briefly mentioned above, we are dab hands when it comes to
building web server side tech; we'd like to initially volunteer some
support (with a view towards helping more formally if funding is
obtained) - we felt that perhaps our support could go towards
providing a web app to collect demographic details on stations or even
some work towards the final pitch / proof of concept - whatever is
required really.

Donald, you already have our contact details so both Mike and I are
really looking forward to hearing from you!  :)

Look forward to seeing you all soon.

regards.

Husain Fazel
Director, Fresh Futures Youth Development Limited.
http://freshfutures.org