[cma-l] mobile technology and community radio

Gordon Nicholas gordon.nicholas at btinternet.com
Tue Sep 6 13:39:51 BST 2011

Hi everyone..

This is a topic that I particularily enjoy so perhaps I can add in a bit more from our experience at Vintage Radio on Merseyside.

We have started down the road of live OBs by taking interviews at the remote site (an exhibition) and feeding into a live music programme. We used Skype as a starter to see how it would work and were impressed by the audio quality but also the "on screen" banners you get if there is a link problem. You also have a "chat" window for interaction. We "cued in" the interviews on a time basis with pre-synchronised clocks by getting the remote presenter to start the interview at a set time and fading in at the studio while the other show was on air. The remote interview was "cued out" via a code sequence such as "and now back to the studio". The remote site used a 3G router although I dont see why 2G wouldnt do the job for audio. We tried to avoid mobile phones as the digital call setup got iinto  the  studio audio (happens even with the beeb!)

Other things we are looking at include the possible use of a free VPN  to avoid problems with firewalls and a simple voiceIP linking package which has multiple codecs and is (again) free!. Another project is the use of a Samsung Galaxy S which with the latest Android OS will do Video calling with both front and back cameras which we could use to feed the website.

Having limited funding we are always looking for low-cost options and am scared rigid by some of the figures talked about in the threads.

Hope that helps the discussion

Gordon
Chairman

http://www.vintageradio.org.uk   ..for the mature listener...